Saturday, January 21, 2017

Miniature Wargame Resolutions 2017

Hello again! Time for another round of resolutions. Last time focused on my RPG hobby. Today I will list my ten goals for miniature gaming. The last couple of years I have fallen victim to the cult of the new shinny resulting in a collection of rules and minis. Unfortunately, last year I played fewer games than I hoped. This year the ultimate plan is to paint and play more! 
  1. Organize my collection: A simple look at the man cave reveals how disorganized my collection is. There are models in various stages of completion on every shelf in the room. The number of games I collected over the years is ridiculous. Being honest with myself, I really need to cut down. Additionally, we are preparing to move homes. This is a opportunity to asses I am at with my hobby. This year I need to catalog my collection and create a plan forward for all of them.
  2. Paint up a Dark Age board: DA is currently one of my favorite mini games, and one I simply do not play enough of. I just recently bought terrain from Warsen.al that I want to fully paint. These pieces and a few smaller bits would make an absolutely brilliant board. And with a board, I should probably play on it. For this goal I want to have a full board and play on it twice.
  3. Paint up and play Escape from Goblin Town: Somebody awesome purchased this box set from GW for Christmas and it demands my attention! The models are simply some of the most elegant models I've seen in a while. Unfortunately it means two more armies that need painted! I guess I should be realistic and aim for playing two scenarios with fully painted armies. 
  4. Age of Sigmar Starter Box: For my birthday last year my wife gave me the starter box for AoS. After years of avoiding Warhammer, I simply could not resist the appeal of their reworked rules. The set contains everything I could hope for, enough incredible models to field sizable armies, and a small campaign that I can play with a friend. This year I want to paint both armies in the box and play all the scenarios found in the rulebook. Perhaps if things go well, I will get the other campaign books and play those the following year!
  5. Paint left over Malifaux crews: Competing with Dark Age as one of my favorite games is Malifaux. between the two, it is one that I have played the most in the past. However, last year I failed to play a single game. A friend of mine got a starter box for Christmas so I see playing this a bit more. I also have a number of unfinished crews laying around on my shelves. In anticipation of playing more Malifaux, it would be nice to paint a few of these models. The goal is to finish at least two of the crews and playing four matches.
  6. Battletech: I'll admit that this may be part nostalgic. My neighbor and I used to play this game when we were in high school and I always think of that when I bring out my box set. But another aspect the ability to set up a whole campaign. My buddy and I recently started one of the campaigns found in one of the starter books. The two matches that we already completed reminded me of both the strength and weakness of BT, the complexity. If your looking for a game with some meaty rules and charts galore then this is your jam. But if your extremely strapped for time, you may want to move on. But so far, I think we figured out how to keep track of things in a way that lets us prepare the game before he heads over. This one may take a bit more work then I would like but hopefully I can get in four more matches within our campaign.
  7. Star Trek Attack Wing: This may may seem a bit odd for me. It is not as popular as its Star Wars counterpart, and is not greatly supported. I am not even that big of a Star Trek fan. But I love this game. It is simple to teach and easy to set up. I also love the maneuver dials that allow for an awesome movement phase. It also works out that my schedule shifted so that I can play in the monthly OP event held at my local game store. Time to pack up a fleet and go! Play at least six games some of which during a organized play event.
  8. Play Uncharted Seas: One of my favorite games that is no longer really supported. I have a number of fleets, all in various states of being painted. Sometime this year I would love to get in a game with fully painted fleets. Possibly with multiple players!
  9. Use my airbrush: Airbrushing seems to be the latest rage and I have everything that I need. This year, I learn to join the crowd! Perhaps I will start with the terrain that I got this year for Christmas.
  10. Play in public: I haven't played much in public, most of my games have been with the same person. This year I would like to change this and get involved in my local community. I would like to play at either a store or a convention on six separate occasions. 
As you can see, it looks like I have a lot of painting to accomplish this year. In order to do it, I may have to get creative with my hobby time. Expect some posts that serve as an organizational tool in the next few months.

Until then, do you have any goals this year relating to your mini hobby?

No comments:

Post a Comment